Friday, December 02, 2005

Skype Rules! (Especially while I'm overseas)

Copenhagen, Day 6:

With Skype (the amazing, free VOIP product), the internet really shines. Here I am, at 6AM in my hotel room in Copenhagen (I thought jetlag went away after a few days...?), on a wireless network, talking to my partner overseas with a clarity that puts cell phones to shame. I also called Mom, on her birthday, from Copenhagen! "And you sound like you're just in the next room!" I think that was a positive critique. Skype calls sound oddly realistic, even over cheesy laptop speakers and microphones.

And even when the other person is not using headphones, I rarely hear my own voice at the other end. When it does occur, usually the other party need only lower the volume. I don't know how Skype does it. I suspect that there is a smart bit of audio-manipulation software built in. And it has to be using some excellent compression, yes? I am again in love with the internet.

There's often a small delay that causes people to talk over each other on occasion, but it's no worse than cell-to-cell. (Or is that a Sprint-to-Verison delay?)

Skype is not limited to computer-to-computer VOIP, either. For a very small fee (essentially local-call fees), I used a feature called SkypeOut to call a hotel in Copenhagen while I was making initial arrangements for this trip. I've since used the same technology to call Northwest Airlines from Copenhagen, and to call my own US cell phone numbers to get messages.

http://www.skype.com/ Be sure to watch the cute intro movie.

No comments: