Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Keep an eye (or foot) on your luggage

I bought new a new suitcase for the Copenhagen trip. I needed two large suitcases, one to carry books and manuals for the class. The old one had lost the sliding handle that allows me to wheel the suitcase around. In fact, that poor old thing was so beat up, I could tell it apart from everyone else's just from the scuffs, stains, and tears.

How do you recognize your luggage? Perhaps more importantly: How do others know it's not theirs?

A few travel tips to keep you from losing stuff.

Checked luggage.

ID tags.
Of course, the airlines want you to have your name and address somewhere on the luggage. I like those simple luggage tags that hold a business card, and use a stretchy strap to hang on to the handle. (If you own a company and your employees travel a lot, get them all a few luggage tags with your logo on the back!) You should also toss your business card inside the luggage, in case the tags get torn away. My new bag has a built-in external place for my name and address. Strangely, it's not large enough for a business card, so I don't use it.

Colored luggage belts. I'm surprised by how few people use those luggage straps that make your luggage appear unique. The luggage carousels are still a sea of mostly dull, nondescript black suitcases. We have two straps that are red, white, and blue, and two that are rainbow. If I'm checking two bags, I select matching straps. I can tell which suitcases are mine from a ways away. And there's a much lower chance that someone will accidentally take my luggage.

Carry-Ons.

I once lost a very nice camera on vacation. I left it with my carry-on for just a moment in a hotel hallway. The thief must have been incredibly fast, and must have somehow sensed how much time was available.

After that, I started developing the following weird travel habits to keep track of my carry-ons.

Line of sight. The idea is to simply keep an eye on your stuff. This is required activity while in an airport, but it has numerous personal benefits, too. Set the luggage in front of you. Often airport urinals have a shelf in front of you, at eye level. You can see your luggage, without peeing on it. Take all carry-on luggage into a stall with you.

The trick with the feet. When sitting in the terminal and reading or talking on the phone, always have a foot pressed against each of your two carry-ons. You'll notice if the pressure on your foot suddenly disappears! In the airport bathrooms (those without the convenient shelves), set the luggage behind you, touching your heels, or to each side (and back a little, gentlemen). Just remember they're there, so you don't fall over them while zipping up.

It's all done with mirrors. If neither of the above are possible (usually due to room constraint), try to find a way to keep your stuff within eyesight. Is there a mirror nearby? Can you see them through the reflection on the flusher mechanism? Can you see them out of the corner of your eye? Of course, you have to be careful with this technique, lest the man standing next to you thinks you're looking at him...

No comments: